Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Thing-A-Day Pear Sauce

As some of you know, I'm participating in Thing-A-Day 2 (see "Danielle's Things on Days" to the right in the links column daily for an update). What that means is that I have to spend 20-60 minutes every day making something. They have a theme-of-the-week that I can follow, or I can make up my own stuff. Kimberly is participating too, and is posting all of her things for the month of February on her blog. So far it's been pretty fun I have to say; forcing my creative juices into play on a daily basis has been neat. Even if it has only been 5 days.

Anyways, while I haven't been posting every day on what I've been making I thought I'd share yesterday's with you. I came up with a pretty tasty pear sauce to put on chicken breast, but I'm sure it would go really well over pork as well. And pay no attention to my "measurements"; I didn't use spoons and rather just did shakes of the spice container. Very exact.

Pear Sauce


Ingredients:
- 3 D’anjou Pears, washed, cored, and cubed (skin on)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 shakes nutmeg
- Pinch of sage
- 3 shakes cinnamon
- 4-6 shakes black pepper
- 3 shakes salt
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Method:
- Put the pear pieces in the food processor (or blender) and turn it on until they become a puree
- Put the puree into a small saucepan. Immediately add the 1/2 cup water and lemon juice. Whisk together.
- Put saucepan on medium heat and cook until you start to see steam
- Add and whisk in the above spices one at a time
- Once everything is incorporated, let sauce simmer for about 5-8 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- When the sauce has come to a good heat, add the balsamic vinegar. Whisk until well incorporated. Bring to preferred temperature. Spoon on meat and garnish with walnuts.

Here's the finished product from last night - the sauce over chicken breast served with Brady Street Couscous and snap peas.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thats pretty yummy lookin...what was the taste like? Sweet? Spicey?