Friday, March 16, 2007

Friday Five? Yes, please!

Here's my Friday Five for this week...

What’s something that’s generally considered bad manners that you don’t think is a big deal?
I've never understood why exactly it is that putting your elbows on the table is considered rude. I don't even pay attention to where people's arms are during a meal unless they are at risk of putting them square in their food. I'm sure that if I "Google it" I'll find a plethora of etiquette references as to why it's bad, but I still don't see what the big deal is.

What’s something you think should be considered good manners that you don’t think most people pay any attention to?
Saying "Please", "Thank You", and "Excuse Me". We live in a very demanding society and I don't find that these are used nearly as much as they should be. In such a hustle and bustle world a little bit of this level of common courtesy can be refreshing.

In what way are you especially well-mannered?
I try hard to always remember to say "Please", "Thank You", and "Excuse Me" on a regular basis. Another thing I try to do is when I'm a guest over for dinner or a party, I try to help with the cleaning even if just a little bit before I leave. My mom always taught me that it's rude not to clean up a mess you've made - especially in someone else's home.

In what way are you especially ill-mannered?
I don't always think before I speak, and sometimes that results in me saying something completely stupid and sometimes rude/hurtful. I also am not entirely well-versed on professional/fancy dinner table etiquette; if I see more than 4 pieces of flatware on a table it takes me a little bit to figure out the correct order to use them in.

If you owned a beautiful, enormous house high upon a hill, what would you name your manor?
I wouldn't name it. I think that naming your house (or manor, as it were) is extremely arrogant and I just wouldn't do it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Current Music: US3, "Cantaloop"

No comments: