Monday, March 5, 2007

One Foot in Front of the Other...

This morning was my first morning of morning walking. I went a bit shorter than I wanted to, so tomorrow I'll probably expand my route (unless it's so cold my face feels like it will fall off).

I will say it was definitely nice to get up and start my day like that. I walked for about 20 minutes with the sounds of Guster pumping through the headphones; my goal is to do at least 30 minutes a day at least 4 days a week. Eventually I would like to incorporate some jogging into the mix, but that will have to wait until it's not bitter cold outside. My cardio capacity is not quite back to that point yet... for those that weren't aware - I'm not terribly "in shape".

The air was brisk this morning, but not unbearably. I like walking when it's not muggy out, and it will be interesting to see how I feel about the air come July and August when it's typically pea soup outside. The rest of this week will be pretty cold though, so I'm going to have to bundle up if I'm going to stick with this...


This is all part of my "I have to take better care of myself" endeavor. I've tried this before, but I feel more committed this year for some reason. Last year I lost 8-10 pounds by going to Curves 5 days a week for about 3 months, then my grandfather had his heart surgery and things got irregular because I couldn't get to Curves during their very strange hours (well, what I thought were strange hours... maybe they weren't strange hours for the people who lived and worked in the Dracut area). Then I started to get back into the routine, and Steve's grandmother passed away so I fell off the wagon again.

This year, however, it feels different. In the past I've felt that it was out of obligation or because I was supposed to because the doctor said to. Now I feel as though I WANT to be healthier. And not just for the wedding (which I know many brides do) but for a few reasons:

1. I hated the way I looked in our pictures from Florida. It was the stereotypical weight loss commercial "Enough is enough" moment.
2. I need to lose weight because of my insulin resistance. This will help to prevent any sort of adult onset diabetes (which runs in my family)
3. It also will help when we try to have kids in a few years. I've heard that when you're in better shape, labor goes a lot easier. I don't know if that's true or not, but may as well anyways right?
4. Overall better health.

And so... it begins. I don't know what I weigh currently, so I can't start a tally of pounds lost. I'll have to just know by the way I feel and how my clothes fit I suppose.

Wish me luck!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Current Music: Led Zeppelin - "All of My Love"

2 comments:

Dan said...

When Steve is more or less recovered you guys should join us at the UML gym. We'd love to have friends to go with. (I've been parking in the new garage when I go. It's quite handy.)

The Signal said...

"I've heard that when you're in better shape, labor goes a lot easier."

True. Also, if you are underweight or overweight - it can give you trouble with conception. Get in the habit now of taking a vitamin with folic acid.