Wednesday, September 26, 2007

What??

Here's why New England weather is ridiculous.

It's September 26th. In a week and a half I'm going apple picking. The leaves on the trees are changing to all the pretty colors of fall and in some cases are falling off of the trees. Starbucks has brought back their caramel apple cider for the season, and various places are featuring pumpkin flavored things in honor of fall.

Typically it's about 65-ish degrees (give or take 5 in either direction). Sunny, a nice brisk breeze. At any point after 4:00 PM I'm supposed to be able to curl up in a hoodie sweater because I'm chilly.

Today's weather: Sunny, Humid. Highs in the low 90's. I wore a knee-length skirt, cap sleeved shirt and flip-flops to work today.

Tomorrow Afternoon/Evening: Showers come in and stick around until Friday evening. Temps will drop to mid 80's tomorrow and mid 70's on Friday. Sunny and Low 70's over the weekend.

People outside of New England will automatically say this is because of global warming - and I'm not saying I don't agree to some extent. I'm saying that it's because of weather like this that well before global warming was even a thought, the following phrase was coined:

"Welcome to New England. If you don't like the weather - wait a minute."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Current Music: Dixie Chicks, "Wide Open Spaces" (live version)

4 comments:

Kimberly Pye said...

It was Mark Twain who said, "If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a few minutes."

All kinds of other places have stolen it, but it was ours first!

Danielle Athanas said...

I had no idea that was Twain! You learn something new every day. :)

Steve Athanas said...

"I rarely learn something new every day. Not because I know everything, but because I don't pay attention to the world around me" - Steve Athanas

There. I commented. Enjoy.

Nikki Neurotic said...

I have two fans going in my room at the moment because of the heat.