Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Use What You've Got, Baby!

No room left in the pantry...

No room left in the freezer...

No room left in the fridge...

Crap.

This week I've decided that for the need for space in my pantry, freezer, and fridge I'm going to be doing a series called "Use What You've Got". After a few canning events, various accumulated leftovers, and buying more stuff for the freezer I've realized that I have no where to put more food. My goal this week is to buy as little food as possible and make every meal with what I already have in the apartment. The only exception to this might be Friday when we have friends over for dinner because most of what I have is odds-and-ends that will make lots of great food for 2 people, but not four.

So without further adieu:

Use What You've Got: Day 1

Last night was pretty easy. I had a package of boneless country style pork ribs that needed to be used and also a big container of leftover veggies that were a couple of days away from the trash. Sunday night Steve put the ribs in a blueberry marinade (from the blueberry canning day this summer) to sit overnight and I tossed them on the broiler for 10 minutes per side. I then reheat the veggies and gave them proper position on the plate (protected from the blueberry juices). Pork is garnished with some whole pickled blueberries (from which the marinade came). The little toasts are one whole wheat hot dog roll quartered, sprayed with olive oil, sprinkled with Brady Street, and toasted under the broiler for about 3-4 minutes (careful eye so they didn't burn).



The package of pork ribs also allowed me to make a meal for an elderly woman at our church and also save 2 for myself to eat next week when I fly solo while Steve's in NYC at technical training.

1 comment:

Kimberly Pye said...

It is a good thing to have a full freezer -- it runs more efficiently and helps saves the planet!

It will be fun doing this exercise before we move -- when it's really crunch time!

(Thank God I don't actually have to eat my 37 jars of strawberry jam, though!) ;-)