Thursday, November 15, 2007

Letter to Me

I was in the car this morning and I heard the new song by Brad Paisley called "Letter to Me" (that link takes you to the music video on CMT.com). It's an interesting premise that answers the questions "What would you write if you could write a letter to yourself?"

So that made me start thinking... what would I write if I were to write a letter to myself. Would I write it to myself when I was 17 and in my senior year of high school? Or would I write it now and put it away so my future self could read it and see if I eventually answer some of the unanswered questions I have now? Maybe I would write it to myself when I was 5 and my parents got divorced, to let myself know that everything turns out OK. Maybe a letter to myself in the 8th grade telling myself to join Marching Band color guard the next year so I could have had one more year of guard instead of waiting until 10th grade. A letter to myself at 16 telling myself that it's not worth fighting with my parents to work at JC Penney, I'll just end up quitting and working at Market Basket anyways so avoid the fight and do it in the first place.

There are so many possibilities of what I could write to myself in a letter. With further thought... I think I would write it to myself my first year in college. I know for sure that I would tell myself to stop being so skeptical and analytical and to open my mind a bit. I would tell myself to make sure I cherish my family because you never know when they'll be gone (no, I wouldn't tell myself when certain people would pass away). I would tell myself to exercise more and make sure I pick up after myself a bit more. Tell myself to be mindful of my money a bit more and keep better track of things. I'd end it with a reminder that God doesn't give us any challenge we can't handle, and everything I go through in life is worth it in the end. That's really it... I'm afraid if I told myself too much that history might change a bit, and I like where life is right now.

I leave you with this - what would you write in a letter to yourself?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

"Dear Doug,

Sell everything you own, every thing your parents own, everything your girlfriend owns and put it all on the Patriots to win the superbowl in 2001. Trust me,

Future Doug"

Patriots were a 100-1 to win the Superbowl in 2001 before the season started.

That is what I would write myself.

Kimberly Pye said...

Yeah, I don't think I would actually take it seriously if the letter was supposedly from "me," so I'd just leave some lottery numbers or something. If I believe it and act on it, sweet; if not, oh well, because I'll be in the very same place I am now.

Maggie Moo said...

Great post. I can't wait to hear this song...though wait-is it a country song? Probably, right? Oh well...

I actually have written several letters to myself. But if I were to write one today to myself, I would most likely say, "Stop trying to figure everything out and just live."

My brain never really stops. It's tiring. :)

kat said...

That is a great post indeed and a neat idea.